Saturday 12 August 2017

The Return of the Orange Canadian

Hello again. It’s been quite some time since I last wrote (even though I have written a number of posts that I have not published). I apologize for my lack of voice. And while there’s much that I could, should, and perhaps more importantly need to write about, I’m simply just not ready yet.

If you follow me on any of my social media outlets aside from the blog, you have seen me in person, or have written me for an update you undoubtedly know that I’m no longer based at the Source of the Nile. I am, in fact, back in my birthplace – Halifax, Nova Scotia. …well, currently I am not there, but I’ll get to that in a minute. The decision to leave Uganda, at least temporarily, was one that was unimaginably difficult. But, as I noted in the first paragraph, I’ll get to that part of my life at a later date. For now, I need to focus on the immediate. I’m not in a position to daydream about down the road, nor would it be healthy – mentally – for me to reflect on the past few months. So, if you can bear with me, I promise, that in time, I will regurgitate all that has led me to this exact point, in my usual awkward, bordering on self-deprecating, humorous way.

I chose to subtitle this post as The Return of the Orange Canadian, as I’m afraid I’ve been a little lost lately – not just in terms of blogging, but as a person, as a mental state, and on a spiritual level. My soul has been depleted, and so, I’ve taken a few weeks to reorient myself to my surroundings. Now, I’m on a quest to get back to my normal self – and what better way to do that than under the comfort of thr stars, with my pup by my side (hint: I’ve gone camping).

I’m already breaking my first rule, which is to shut off technology – no Facebook, Instagram, email, or phone, more generally. But, I finally had an urge to put pen-to-paper, or finger-to-keyboard, as it were, so thought I’d take a few minutes, piece together a few words, and then shut it down until I return to “civilization.”

Today is only day one, and already we’re off to a good start – it’s been torrentially raining all day, which in and of itself is not the best way to start a camping trip. But to make things even more misadventurous, I had to teach myself how to put together my tent for the first time in said downpour. I’m sure anyone watching had a good chuckle at my expense, but at the end of the day, I’m proud to say I got it together. …mind you, there’s at least a 30% chance that it will collapse on Gertie and I in the middle of the night, but for now, we are staying dry and enjoying the downtime. The good thing about the rain is that it gives a justifiable excuse to not be worrying about doing things for the sake of doing something.

The funny thing about the above scenario, is that every time I have gone camping in Canada it has either rained or snowed. And today is no different. In fact, the entire duration of my time away is forecasted to be a rainy mess, so that… should be… fun. Good thing I love the rain!

Anyway, I want to leave this post by ensuring you all that I’m okay. I am safe, healthy, and surrounded by good people (when I’m not off in the wilderness!). Life is amazing, and I have had the fortune of getting to live some pretty big things over the last few years. And, while I’m not saying some of those things have concluded, what I am saying is that it’s time to figure out a different routine. Even though I may not be where I had hoped to be at this moment, I’m exactly where I need to be – and that is something I needed to remind myself. Life has a funny way of working itself out, and I have no doubt there are plenty of adventures to come.


- the Orange Canadian

No comments:

Post a Comment